The future of the RTA Portal will become clearer on Friday when a protocol, forms and rules for a new small-claims system are finalised at a meeting of the Civil Procedure Rule Committee. The protocol will enable the system to deal with claims up to £25,000, and employer and public liability claims, for the first time – although the government has yet to confirm when this extension will happen after postponing the 1 April rollout. In the meantime, the company operating the portal has warned users to expect delays if the protocol differs from the draft published by the Ministry of Justice last year. The resulting delays to processing claims – and extra work for firms – could come at a time when fixed costs for low-value portal work have been slashed from £1,200 to £500. Tim Wallis, chairman of Claims Portal Limited, said: ‘We’re building software on the basis of the drafts with April still in mind. If the software is radically affected [by the final protocol] there may be a question mark over whether we could deliver a portal on 1 April. ‘If the changes are more minor we can do a manual workaround which users had to live with last time. They may require additional work and labour – that may give reason for complaint.’
On Monday, the National Weather Service in Miami issued a coastal flood advisory for Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties. It is scheduled to remain in effect until at least midnight Monday.High lunar tides are expected to cause coastal flooding and potentially hazardous driving conditions through Friday.Coastal flooding was expected from Delray Beach to Miami Beach, including areas of Broward that routinely flood. Any heavy rains would also contribute to the potential damage or hazard, the National Weather Service said in a statement.
KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – The candidates of the Jamaica Labor Party and the People’s National Party who are competing for a seat in the April 4 by-election being held in the Portland East constituency have agreed to call off rallies.In a joint statement, the ruling JLP and the opposition PNP said their representatives met and agreed the two mass meetings scheduled for Tuesday “have been cancelled”. “Consistent with the Electoral Laws of the country there will be no campaigning after midnight” on Tuesday, the parties said.They have also agreed to “urge our supporters and the residents of East Portland to avoid confrontation and encourage civil interactions that further the peaceful character of the campaign thus far and strengthens the democratic process of the country”,But both the JLP and the PNP said that the agreement reached “does not prevent local or other normal campaign activities”.The agreement by the parties comes amidst reports of gun and other acts of violence in the campaign as the JLP’s Ann-Marie Vaz seeks to win the seat considered a stronghold of the PNP.Polls have Crawford trailing VazVaz, the wife of government legislator, Daryl Vaz, is up against Damion Crawford, who is lagging behind in opinion polls in his bid to retain the seat that has been in the PNP’s fold for the past 30 years.The seat became vacant following the murder of PNP legislator, Dr Lynvale Bloomfield, on February 2 this year.The PNP won the seat in the last general election by more than 2,000 votes.A victory for Vaz in Thursday’s election would see her becoming the first female member of parliament to serve that constituency, while a win for Crawford would result in his return to the Lower House, having previously represented East Rural St Andrew while serving as state minister in the Ministry of Tourism and Entertainment.Meanwhile, the Electoral Office of Jamaica (EOJ) says it is fully prepared for the by-election and that voting will take place in 127 polling stations across 49 voting locations. The polls will open at 7.00 am (local time) and remain open until 5.00pm. There are 36,315 registered voters in the Portland Eastern Constituency.The JLP, which won the 2016 general election by a 32-31 margin, has since won two of three by-elections held last year, giving it a more comfortable three seat margin in the parliament.
LocalNews Dominica to convene National Trade Facilitation Workshop by: – April 4, 2016 Sharing is caring! Share The Ministry of Trade, Energy and Employment of the Commonwealth of Dominica in collaboration with the OECS Commission, the International Trade Centre (ITC) and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) will be hosting a two (2) day workshop on Implementation of the WTO Agreement on Trade Facilitation (TFA) in the OECS Economic Union. This Workshop will be held at the Fort Young Hotel Conference Room, Roseau, Dominica from April 7-8, 2016. The Trade Facilitation Agreement, which was concluded at the 9th Ministerial Conference in December 2013, in Bali, Indonesia, outlines a set of trade-related measures for its Membership which are geared at improving the efficiency, expediency and transparency in Customs procedures and promoting cooperation amongst Customs Officials, other Border Control Agencies and the private sector. The National Trade Facilitation Workshop will therefore seek to improve participants understanding and appreciation of the TFA and its relevance to economic growth and development in Dominica and by extension the OECS Economic Union. Participants will also discuss Dominica’s efforts toward implementing the Agreement and more specifically developing a national strategy and action plan and proposal for those measures which will require time, resources and technical assistance in order to operationalize. As an active Member of the OECS, Dominica’s strategy will form part of a wider regional strategy which will serve to enhance trade facilitation in the OECS Economic Union and assist in facilitating the operations of the OECS Customs Union and Free Circulation of Goods Regime.The Workshop will bring together stakeholders from both the public and private sector including the Ministries of Trade, Agriculture, Health, Justice, the Dominica Bureau of Standards, Customs, Dominica Association of Industry and Commerce (DAIC), Dominica Manufacturers Association (DMA), the Brokers Association, Tropical Shipping, the Hucksters Association and other Importers. It is expected that this national workshop will provide an opportunity for public and private sector stakeholders to better understand Dominica’s obligations in the multilateral trading arena as well asthe opportunities for increased and improve trade, investment, “Doing Business” status and economic activity to be derived from implementing the Agreement. Tweet 134 Views no discussions Share Share
LocalNewsPolitics UPDATE: Loreen Bannis-Roberts is new UN representative by: Dominica Vibes News – August 24, 2016 478 Views one comment Share Sharing is caring! Share Share Tweet (UN Photo/Rick Bajornas)Former government minister, Loreen Bannis Roberts has been appointed Dominica’s newest Permanent Representative to the United Nations.Bannis-Roberts, who served as Liaison Officer for Diaspora Affairs, presented her credentials to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on 22 August 2016 at the United Nations in New York.She replaces Ambassador Vince Henderson who served in that position from March 2010.“In receiving her credentials, the UN Secretary General welcomed Her Excellency’s appointment as the new Dominican Ambassador and lauded the country’s role at the United Nations as a long, trusted partner in the international community,” a press release issued by the Press Secretary on 24 August indicates.“Ambassador Bannis-Roberts reiterated Dominica’s strong commitment to the United Nations and assured the UN Secretary General of her fullest support in helping his agenda for Climate Change and Sustainable Development,” the release adds.
No. 2 West Florida Comes Back in 2-1 Overtime Win to Open Season Shakira Duncan scored the equalizer in the 53rd minute and assisted on the overtime game-winner (Photo by John Blackie) Share PENSACOLA, Fla. – After falling behind early, the No. 2 West Florida women’s soccer team battled back to tie the game in the second half and win it in overtime in a 2-1 battle against Nova Southeastern in the 2010 season opener on Friday night. Senior forward Shakira Duncan (Kingston, Jamaica/Darton) scored the equalizer in the second half, and sophomore forward Jodi-Ann Robinson (Richmond, British Columbia) headed in the overtime game-winner on a cross from Duncan.With few players returning from last year’s record-breaking season, the Argonauts (1-0-0) started slow and had trouble finding openings in the Nova Southeastern (0-1-0) defense early in the first half. A breakdown on defense by UWF resulted in NSU going ahead in the ninth minute, as Raye Salkey found Shanoska Young open in the box, and Young tucked the ball inside the right post to put the Sharks on top. At the end of the first half, the Argos held a slim 8-6 lead in shots.Early in the second half, Duncan streaked through multiple defenders and chipped one over NSU goalkeeper Chrissy Hy to even the score at one. The Sharks held strong, even coming close to re-taking the lead when a Deidre Long shot hit the post in the 69th minute.In overtime, UWF went on the offensive, winning two corner kicks and keeping the ball on NSU’s defensive half for most of the period. Eight minutes into overtime, Duncan calmly lofted a cross from the right corner flag, and Robinson was set up on the back post, ready to blast a header past the keeper and send the Argonauts home with the win.West Florida finished the night with an 18-11 shot advantage, and UWF was awarded seven corner kicks compared to none for NSU. The Argonauts also had trouble with the timing of their attacking runs, resulting in 10 offsides calls and multiple scoring opportunities called back.Junior goalkeeper Ali Ryan (Batemans Bay, Australia/Darton) made four saves in her West Florida debut, and Hy totaled six in goal for Nova Southeastern.The 2010 ArgoFanShop.com Invitational will resume on Sunday, September 5 as UWF prepares to face Barry, who opened their season today with a dramatic, 5-4 overtime win over North Alabama. For information on all UWF Athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com. Print Friendly Version
Real Madrid will clash with Atletico Madrid tonight in the UEFA Super Cup at the Lillekula Stadium in Tallinn, Estonia.The Los Blancos are adjusting to life after their all-time highest goal scorer, Cristiano Ronaldo left the Santiago Bernabeu to join Juventus.Real Madrid lost only one match in their pre-season tour against Manchester United, but recorded victories against Juventus, AS Roma and AC Milan.Real’s new manager, Julen Lopetegui may not start midfielder, Luka Modric after he joined the squad late following a lengthy World Cup, while Jesus Vallejo is ruled out due to muscular injury.Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid head to the game with all full squad except for Šime Vrsaljko who left the club to join Inter Milan on loan.The Los Rojiblancos manager, Diego Simeone has no new injury worries in his squad ahead of the clash.Simeone might not start forward, Antoine Griezmann and Lucas Hernandez due to their World Cup commitment.Simeone’s men have not been convincing in their last few pre-season games having lost two, drawn two and won one.Real Madrid’s potential starting XI:Navas, Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Casemiro, Kroos, Bale, Isco, Asensio, Benzema.Atletico Madrid’s potential starting XI:Oblak, Juanfran, Godin, Savic, Luis, Koke, Saul, Rodri, Lemar, Costa, Kalinic.The kick-off time for the match is 8pm.
Nearly 10,000 individual respirators in total will be available for the fight against COVID-19 through the generous gift from Marathon. Starting the week of March 23, Marathon Petroleum has deployed its entire stock of personal protective equipment (PPE) to hospitals, healthcare organizations and its own facilities across the country. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Marathon Petroleum Corporation, in response to a call for N-95 respirators for area health providers, donated over 40 boxes of N-95 respirators to Central Peninsula Hospital on March 29. Marathon Petroleum has had a pandemic response plan in place for many years. Over 500,000 pieces of PPE, including N-95 respirators, masks, and gloves have either been delivered or are in transit to 45 hospitals and healthcare organizations in 20 states.
If anyone has religiously followed this column, you’d recall that I had dubbed 2018 ‘the year of the woman’ given the numerous achievements Jamaica’s sporting women made last year. For 2019 so far, it’s more of the same as the women continue their dominance on the track. As the season continues to generate immense heat, all eyes remain firmly locked on Jamaica’s biggest contenders, some of whom will line up for the black, green, and gold in Doha. What a year it has been so far for Elaine Thompson and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. Based on what we have witnessed this season, Jamaica could take the top two 100m spots on the podium in Doha. Elaine and Shelly are in dangerously fine form, with the 2016 double Olympic Champion having the edge given her world-leading times over both the 100m and 200m this season at 10.73 and 22.00, respectively. This should be one for the record books, with Jamaica standing to profit from what may likely be a sub-10.7 finish for both ladies, and, of course, a new national record. Elaine should also enter the 200m as the favourite given that Shaunae Miller-Uibo, who has not lost over 200m since 2017, is likely to concentrate on the 400m at the Championships. Junior sensation Briana Williams aims to become the youngest 100m finalist at a World Championship. After a blistering 10.94s to qualify for Doha last month, Jamaicans will cheer loudly for the brave and brilliant 17-year-old World Youth record holder. TANGLED WEB Following the controversial snafu by the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) in the 100m hurdles at the national trials, with the race eventually declared void, many deem the exclusion of Danielle Williams from consideration puzzling, to say the least. All eyes are now firmly locked on the women’s hurdles candidates, with both Janeek Brown and Megan Tapper having run their personal best in June at 12.40 and 12.63, respectively. But it is Danielle Williams who has been making the headlines and staking the biggest claim to a spot on the team to Doha. Williams’ only means of entry in the event, according to the JAAA, remains through winning the Diamond League. Just last weekend, she set a new national record at 12.32 seconds. Williams, as of Wednesday, is currently ranked number one in the world. What a tangled web! Let’s hope cool heads prevail and Williams wakes up from this ordeal at the top of the podium in Doha as she remains Jamaica’s best chance at gold over the distance. At the Junior level, Jamaica’s Brittany Anderson was in perfect form at the Motonet Joensuu Grand Prix on Tuesday as she ran a blistering personal best 12.71 seconds. Once that time is ratified, Anderson’s run will go down as a not just a new national junior record, but the World Under-20 record as well. She should take a bow. Over in the 400m, all eyes are locked on MVP teammates Shericka Jackson and Stephenie Ann McPherson. Jackson is having a great year after running a lifetime-best 49.78 seconds at last month’s national trials. Rushelle Clayton is also in scintillating form over the 400m hurdles and has shaved a full second off her personal best this year, with a convincing 54.75 at the national trials in June followed by 54.16 in London last week. She’s having the season of her career so far. In the field, things are looking fantastic for 26-year-old Danniel Thomas-Dodd, who has thrown over 19m at least four times this season, including extending the national record to 19.48m on her way to gold at the Virginia Challenge in April. And so we wait, ready to place our bets and set our sights on the medal tally, certain that somewhere within the history books, our women will continue to write their names and bring further glory to our nation. We are already proud. One love.
Real Madrid winger Gareth Bale is expected to remain at the Santiago Bernabeu for the foreseeable future after the club cancelled the Welsh international’s move to China.The 30-year-old Bale was closing in on a transfer to Chinese Super League club Jiangsu Suning on a three-year deal, with Bale earning a reported salary of £1 million (over J$167 million) per week. It has been reported by The Telegraph that the transfer was called off due to Madrid demanding a transfer fee for the player. In addition, Madrid’s attacking options are depleted as Marco Asensio will be sidelined for the majority of the 2019-2020 season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament during a pre-season friendly against Arsenal last week Tuesday.Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane said last week that Bale was “very close to leaving” as the winger was no longer part of his plans going forward. He added that his exit would be “best for everyone”.“I have nothing personal against him, but there comes a time where things are done because they must be done,” Zidane said after a pre-season friendly against Bayern Munich on July 22. 3 YEARS REMAINING Bale has three years left on his current deal, which has seen him win four UEFA Champions League titles, one LaLiga title, a Copa Del Rey, three Spanish Super Cups and three FIFA Club World Cup titles. His Bernabeu career got off to a thrilling start as he scored three goals in four Champions League finals as Real won the title in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.The embattled Bale has dealt with injury problems, which only saw him make 79 league starts in the past four seasons. His 42 appearances this season have seen him booed at times by Madrid fans.